Monday, July 19, 2004

19 July 2004

1) I've moved! I found a really lovely duplex 1BR apartment in the center of the old part of town. The apartment is very charming, with lots of space, an internal staircase, with eaves, skylights, and exposed beams on the upper floor. There are views of a crooked little cobblestone street, old buildings, church towers, green hills and old rooftops. I have a private garden terrace and no laundry schedule. There is even a dryer! (See note below regarding laundry in Zürich). It's in the expensive part of town, but I'm getting a nicer apartment for less money than I was paying in Manhattan, so I'm still pleased. Unfortunately, I have no furniture, but I hope to remedy that soon.

Care packages are welcome, especially if they include such things as tables, chairs, couches, nightstands, beds, and transportation systems that run 24 hours a day. I'm all set on deep-fried pies from McD's, so no need to send those.

If you happen to be in Zürich on July 31, I'll be having a combination housewarming/birthday/Swiss National Day party. Alcohol and garden terrace provided, but bring your own furniture. My phone numbers are staying the same. I may even have my New York number back soon, once I get hi-speed internet set up.

2) Update on my former neighbors in the crackhouse. The girl with the pet rats has dyed her hair a brilliant magenta, and her boyfriend has, as well. They walk around with matching magenta hair and squirming rats. How romantic.

3) Have I mentioned that many buildings here schedule laundry days a year in advance? The building I first lived in does this, and we were allowed to do laundry between 7 am and 9 pm on our scheduled days, and not on any other days. We were allotted laundry days about once every 25 days. On your special day, you use your building key (Key Number 1) to get into the basement, where you go to this hidden pipe. Key Number 2 is hidden in the pipe. This key is used to open the electrical closet, where the laundry key (Key Number 3) is hidden. Then you can do laundry. But only until 9 pm. And only on your day. No dryer, so laundry day results in an apartment decked out in wet clothes. It's almost as hard to do laundry as to get access to your bank account.

4) For the first time in my life, I have witnessed a storm in which there were hailstones that were literally the size of golfballs. The weather here is schizophrenic. It goes from sunny and breezy to pouring and hailing in two minutes, and then back again, as if nothing had ever happened. I believe that the weather gods here have Alzheimer's.

5) August 7 is the annual street parade in Zurich, and it's supposed to b a giant street party that's a combination of the New York Halloween parade, Gay Pride day, Mardi Gras, and techno mayhem. I look forward to witnessing this spectacle of spectacles.

No comments: